Sunday, January 8, 2012

A 5th Birthday Party, Star Wars Style

This guy is a bit Star Wars-obsessed.
His brothers are fans too, but not quite as much as he is.
So when I asked him what kind of party he wanted this year (he's turning 5....that's a BIG one),
he didn't hesitate to tell me he wanted a Lego Star Wars theme. To be honest, I cringed a little bit on the inside (thinking, "How about Toy Story? Or baseball? Or ANYTHING else?";)....I mean, I don't really "get" the Star Wars thing.  I've never really understood it.  But I know there are LOTS of people out there who think it's fantastic, and I've learned the importance of understanding the things that are important to my kiddos~ I really believe that if they'll talk to me about the little things that are important to them now, hopefully they'll talk to me about the big things that are important as they get older. So I'm somewhat of a pro when it comes to Star Wars.  I know that Darth Vader used to be Anakin Skywalker (Hunter's favorite character), and that Yoda uses a green light saber.  I learned today that 
Boba Fet and Jengo Fet are father and son, but I honestly don't remember which one is which. 
I'm doing my best. ;)

So....a Star Wars theme.  A LEGO Star Wars theme.  Way more fun to plan than I ever expected....lots of ideas out there.  I'm up to my eyeballs in Star Wars-related things (thankfully the scrapbook store had a pretty decent selection), and am getting lots of help from my super-talented friend Amanda, who also happens to run a party planning business in OKC. She's making some fantastic Star Wars cookies, and designed some amazing cupcake toppers for me.  
Can't wait to share the pics....soon!

Then the weekend after Hunter's 5th birthday bash we celebrate Harrison's 11th birthday....11.  ELEVEN. Their birthdays are actually a day apart, but we spaced their parties out a week.  Thankfully, Harrison is getting to the age when a big party isn't a big deal.  He wants to have a few friends go to the Airsoft shooting place, then come home for pizza and cake.  
Going with a camo theme (seemed appropriate), and it's going to be great. 
Eleven.  Whoa.

And as if I didn't have enough to do right now ;) Brian and I hit Home Depot and Lowe's on Friday.  Big plans to finish up our bedroom, which include paint with fun names like Pup Tent and Monk's Cloth, an old ladder, a big door,  and some old ceiling tiles, just to name a few. In search of an old chandelier right now.  CANNOT wait to finish it up and show you! Also going to start changing up some other things upstairs....creating a mural for the wall at the top of the stairs, making curtains for Harrison and Hunter's rooms, our room, and then I'm finally going to face my fear (otherwise known as our kitchen cabinets) and start painting....ready to get the kitchen done.  I think there are so many little things I want to finish up that I keep getting overwhelmed and don't do anything. :/ So my new plan for the new year is to tackle one room at a time, a little at a time.  We'll see.  Hopefully all of the fantastic-ness that's in my head will be reality soon.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my, it's just not possible that the little guy is 5! Hope he has a happy birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jaclyn,
    Sounds like YOU should be in the party business!! I can believe that Harrison is 11--but Hunter--5, NO WAY!!
    They grow up too fast!
    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete